Saturday, November 14, 2009

Screw Social Networking

Hotmail, Gmail, Facebook and Orkut. These are the first four pages I visit along with Google news everyday and every time I logon to the internet. Email I understand and so can anyone. But these days I am really starting to get annoyed with the whole fb phenomenon. Its just too intrusive and too public. People meet you once and add you. You oblige and for eternity now they can get updates on you whereabouts and doings. These people could be a fellow back-bencher from 4th standard or a summer student or some random person you meet everyday. Many of these people are part of your life for short spans. And it does make sense to have them available for these short term purposes. But very few you want to retain for long term. A neighbour from last summer was great for last summer. Its about time that they moved on by this year.

As a way to just say hello and post messages to one another, fb serves a great purpose. May be it was even the intended purpose when it first began. When i first used it in 2005 it did just that. Over the years though it has morphed into this ugly know-all wannabe so much so that people now lead their lives with great consideration for fb opportunities as I like to call them. Fb opportunities are photos, videos, notes, blogs, links and just about anything created or accessed exclusively for the purpose of posting on facebook. I was was victim of this phenomenon too. For sometime I enjoyed posting links and videos that elicited response from my circles. But now I just dont care.

My network of friends has more people I dont talk to anymore, I dont give a shit about anymore or plainly never knew at all. And I dont want all of this. Soon the curtains shall come down on www.facebook.com/sandeepyad. So if any of you read this take a last look.

For those of you who matter, you get to read this or anything else here only because I want you to. I like knowing that only a good few friends get the info they need on my life or my thoughts.

To the rest of you, FUCK OFF!

No comments: